Tuesday, 21 August 2012

......the greatest event on Earth.

So, seven years of waiting and now it's all over. The highs, the lows and all the negative attitudes from the general public are all done with. So what can I say about the Olympics of London 2012? From the moment that we got them back in 2005, the groans of the public could be heard from space. Even France had to turn up their accordions and hit each other with stereotypes in order to get away from it. Never has a public been so upset to be given what is known as 'The greatest games in the world'. From the word go we thought it would fail. Costs were too high, stadiums wouldn't be finished and the opening ceremony would never beat China's. Now after two weeks of sport, I think we can all agree that we were mostly wrong. Even I, in my upmost negative state, was worried it would be a mess and I am very glad that from the moment the opening ceremony began, I knew we had done well. Why try and compete with China? Our pesky human rights would just get in the way, so let’s just make it theatrical and historical and show the world what they love about England, as most of them have never been here. When the rings were forged in the industrial mount doom of England and then rose up to the dark cloudy sky of our glorious summer, the gasps of wonder were heard all over the world. We had done it. Shame that the closing ceremony pissed on this event like a drunk at a wedding. After an amazing two weeks of sport that really touched the nation we were all geared up for the end show. The passing over. We'd done so great we were already patting ourselves on the back and putting our feet up saying "we did it". Then it happened. Other than being a 2 hour concert that was so diverse you would have thought you’d had shuffle on your iPod for the last 70 years, it was a collection of greats being kicked over by shit. When One Direction came on the back of a lorry, other than hoping it would crash, you’d have wondered 'I hope it doesn't get worse'. But sadly it did. Spice Girls! Why did they come back together to mime their way into a show. Not only is the only thing girl power showed and supported was that dressing like sluts gets you men, but that being able to sing doesn't matter if you look pretty. But it can't get worse right....? Oh good, it's Brian May, We Will Rock You will show who’s boss tonight. Oh no, it’s Jessie J. Singing. Now I don't have any opinion on her other than she is a pop star and dresses like a tramp in a glitter store, once again another pop star using music to help fund their modelling career. I feel Freddie would be crying if he was alive. But thankfully he isn't. Now the games themselves. Amazing? Fantastic? Unbelievable? All great words to describe them. I enjoyed every minute I watched. Learning the rules of sports I never knew were real and that is the point of the games. To enjoy it and watch sports that you may not like but enjoy because you see how great they can be. I was on the edge of my set watching horses dance, woman kicking each other in the face and Andy Murray beating my hero Roger Federer because that's what the games do. We are in one of the worse times in financial history so why not cheer up the world with some games? I actually went to an event and I was overwhelmed with how nice the helpers were, how relaxed and friendly the security and army officers were there and how everyone just got along, no matter race, religion or nationally and that, my friends, is why the Olympics is the greatest event on Earth. Tweet me @Pippy_Pipatron

No comments:

Post a Comment